I haven't done much with ARs in the last three years, having switched to back to an AK back then. Recently I sold off my last AK (long, sad story). Realizing that I would build another AR again, I have been accumulating it "one piece at a time" as Johnny Cash said. I had ammo and mags still, as well as some left over parts when I recently started it. About 2 months ago, I picked up a S&W M&P 15 lower.

Initially, I was going to do another M4gery, but then I began thinking. One of the virtues of the AR platform in its basic form, is its light weight and the light weight of the 5.56x45 round. The M16A1 I carried in the Army in the early 70s, the GAU/5A I carried later in the Air Force Reserve, and the Colt Commando XM177E2 I carried for awhile as a LE trunk weapon hall had one thing in common - THEY WERE LIGHT!!!!!!

Being almost 60, a 6 pound rifle is a good thing! That is why I love my USGI CMPicon issued Inland M1icon Carbine.

With that in mind, and since I can only afford one build, I decided to do as light of weight AR as I can: 16" lightweight "pencil" barrel (1/9' ER Shaw). 16 inches of RIFLED barrel will still give you close to 3150 or 3200 FPS from good M193 ball. Then add an M16A1 upper (lighter than an A3 with optics and BUIS), a set of lined CAR handguards rather than the bulkier and heavier M4 double heat shield ones), 4 position Fiberlite CAR stock rather than heavier 6 position M4 stock (I have both, but the 4 position is lighter). Most of the time it will have an M16A1 birdcage, though at times I may sacrifice "light" for "cool" and use the slip over XM177 FH I have. Finish it off with an aluminum Colt 20 round mag, it is good to go, AND LIGHT!

I often see M4geries with tons of added stuff on half a dozen rails everywhere. I picked up one friends M4gery that with all the junk on it weighed dang near 10 lbs! I suggested he get a wheel barrow to carry it. Don't get me wrong. EOT, Aimpoint M2s, 3x magnifiers, lasers, red dots flash lights, bipods hand grips, double mag holders, whistles, and bells all have their place. For Bradley or Stryker borne troops in an urban situation they have their applications. They are fighting a war every day.

I really appreciated the light weight of the XM177 or M1 carbine when chasing bad guys through the woods and hills of Central Kalifornia. The only additions to mine will be an M60 patrol sling for over the weak hand shoulder carry and my trusty old 23 year old Galati Int. 6 pack mag shoulder bag. I am not a Commando, and I am not assaulting any malls (sorry, I couldn't resist), but want something light, effective, and handy.

Let the flames begin!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.