Thread: My First Swiss Rifle - Infantriegewehr 1911?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    03-01-2021 @ 11:10 PM
    Real Name
    Hunter Compton
    Local Date
    06-13-2024
    Local Time
    05:30 AM

My First Swiss Rifle - Infantriegewehr 1911?

I have owned a number of milsurps, but until this point I had not added a Swissicon rifle to my collection. However, I have heard nothing but good things about them. So, when this rifle showed up at my local gun shop I knew I had to have it.

It was clear that the shop was not was not knowledgeable about these old guns. It was advertised as an IG 96/11, however I believe it to be a IG 1911 since the pistol grip is an integral part of the stock and the butt plate is flat and not curved. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, one of the gunsmiths told me that if I fired modern 7.5x55 ammo through it, that I would blow up the gun since the older Swiss rifles can't handle modern ammo. It appears he was confusing his facts with the 1889 rifle.

It did include both an original leather sling and brass muzzle/sight protector. It was initially pretty dirty externally, perhaps having sat in a closet for a few years. There is a bit of wear and surface corrosion to the exterior metal surfaces, particularly at the front of the receiver, but this seemed to clean up nicely with some oil and 0000 steel wool. The inner workings and barrel were, however, in very good shape. The rifling and muzzle are clean cut, sharp and shiny with zero pitting.

I ended up paying $350 for the rifle, which considering where the market is going with these seems reasonable.

One thing I noticed after I bought it, is just how long this rifle really is. It puts a Mosin to shame. I had brought my longest gun case in anticipation, and found the muzzle would stick about 1" out the front.

I did have to do one thing after I bought it other than cleaning, which was to replace the bolt handle, as the original Bakelite one had cracked in several places and was wobbly on the bolt op rod. I bought a new one from Northridge international and it went on very nicely. The original will be kept with the gun of course.

Apart from that the rifle cleaned up very nicely, I cleaned the stock with a 50/50 mix of turpentine and linseed oilicon, unfortunately didn't find a troop tag under the butt plate.

Even though this rifle is old and used, the quality of its craftsmanship is still evident. The way the cartridges click into the magazine, the way the magazine fits into the rifle and the smoothness of the bolt as it is pushed home have a certain feel about them that tells that this rifle was made by skilled hands with quality in mind.

I took it to the range, but only had 50 yards available since the 100 yard range was closed due to flooding. Using PPU 174gr FMJ, I was able to shoot this nice group. I put the first four a little high, then applying some more hold under, was able to shoot the two in the red. I'm not the best shot, but this rifle just oozes accuracy.

Attachment 92451Attachment 92452Attachment 92453Attachment 92454Attachment 92455Attachment 92456Attachment 92457Attachment 92458Attachment 92459Attachment 92460Attachment 92461Attachment 92462
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to Hcompton79 For This Useful Post: