I bought a Mauser a couple years ago and didn't really know what I was getting. A knowledgable friend told me it was an "Armistice" Mauser. It is a military style rifle, longer than the Kar, but the action looks exactly like a K98action. The finish is a really nice deep blue, it has a full length stock with a bayonet lug. The front reciever ring is marked with the Mauser logo and on the side of the action it says "MAUSER A.G. OBERNDORF a.N." The SN is 1206XX with all the main components having the last to digits of the SN. The caliber is really odd, 8,15 X 46. I was told the caliber was very similar to the American 30-30 and cartridges could be fire formed using them.
The floor plate, spring, shell guide and hand guard were missing when I purchased it. I have replaced everything but the wood with parts as correct as possible and am working on the wood. As I said earlier, though, all the bolt, barrel, receiver and misc. parts except what was mentioned above have matching serial numbers. My theory is, this was a WWII bring back and since it has such an odd caliber, it was used for parts on other Mausers.
I am not much of a Mauser collector and was hoping to learn more about this type and if there is collector interest in these Mausers.
Sorry this is so long but I didn't want to leave anything out.
Any help would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.