Threaded View

Last On
    01-04-2024 @ 04:41 AM
    Local Date
    06-16-2024
    Local Time
    07:39 AM

Noi MkII* Heavy Barrel Resto.

I have all sorts of questions going about this particular rifle so now the thread about it.
    It’s a 1942 Lithgowicon No1 MkIII* which has in 1955 if I read it correctly, been fitted with a Lithgow heavy barrel and turned into a range rifle. The wood somewhere along the line got sporterised.

The aim is to have a good shooter that has been restored as best I can. Maybe I will get a no drill scope mount one day but for the moment I am going to work on getting it all back to the way it got pumped out from the Lithgow factory … well, with the HB as well.
    TBone has helped me out with a great set of wood already inletted for a HB . As usual with these things, all is not straightforward as I have found some of the spares I have been collecting are not quite right. The nose cap I have for a HB will not go on. I quick check against the other No1 I have shows why.

I will dig up another one but interesting to note that there is a clear difference in the internal shaping. I will also find one not reamed for a HB as I think it looks a bit better with the regular sized hole for the barrel. If it doesn’t shoot then I might try a full free floating / rubber grommet but until then … I will leave it.
    I have a reamed rear sight coming from The Gunsmiths in NSW which I will try to put on myself. I have to come up with a way to keep it flat at TDC or else I will just have to pay to have it done. More on that when I get it and have a think about it.

I will clean the wood and oil it up shortly. Once that’s done I will start fitment. There is a wealth of information about bedding HB Enfields so I will have some reading and digesting in front of me.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. Thank You to xa-coupe For This Useful Post: