Hi folks,

I figure it's finally time to take the plunge and do a bit of surgery on my No1 MkIII. I've have it for a couple years now, but only shot it on one occasion. At 50 yards, off a sandbag, I got 8" groups. So I put her away until I now have the time to tackle the problem.

As you can see by the attached pix, she suffers from a bad case of the 'damned crack'. Our member Smellie has mentioned it frequently, and I think I understand how to repair it.

The fore-end appears to sit firmly and evenly against the butt socket, but as you can see, the lands appear quite crushed. Should these be repaired too, or would they be okay as is? The fore-end does fit snugly right now.

Lastly, the metal piece on the rear of the fore-end (I have no idea what it's called) does not sit flat. The right hand edge is absolutely flush with the wood while the left hand edge is recessed about 0.009". Does that make any difference, and if so how do I correct it?

I might have more questions later, but these will do for now.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.