i have a Savage Enfield no4 mk1*. i necked sized a handful of Federal brass. i used 150 gr. bullets (Serbian/Yugoicon?) and 40 to 42 grains IMR 4985. the first reloads were hard to chamber (from their first firing in same rifle). one of the 42 grain loads ended in a case head separation and left the brass in the chamber. i got it out using a removal tool from midwayusa.com, but had to take the bolt out and use wood dowel to "pound" it in and out. it worked that way not using the bolt and it's extractor. after examining the bad brass and showing it to friends. i am now guessing that the chamber is loose and long and the brass stretched and expanded beyond ability and split open. examining other first fired brass from same rifle shows a ring just past the head where the brass starts to thin. i suspect these will split open on the next firing...if there is one. anybody got any ideas on how to safely shoot this rifle...any tricks?
thanks, great forum!
Leeroy151@yahoo.com
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.