Thread: 1911 & M1 Carbine: Going strong?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    05-22-2024
    Local Time
    11:46 AM

1911 & M1 Carbine: Going strong?

I was thinking about some of my favorite firearms: 1911 (though I don't own one at the moment) and M1 Carbine (of which I own one and have a second on the way!). The 1911 has been going strong for 100 years. It is still a first class sidearm and fight stopper. The carbine has been going strong for almost 70 years: It is still an excellent weapon, especially if used in the PDW role that it was designed. It is as good at it now as it was then when it comes to under 100 yard Personal Defense Weapons. Lets even consider my other favorite, the Kalashnikov. It has 62 years under its belt, and is (IMHO) the best ASSAULT RIFLE ever made. There are between 75 and 80 million of them still in service around the world, even at conservative estimates. Even the venerable M16 has over 60 years since the first full auto AR15 project ARPA days of the late 50s.

None of these weapons has changed substantially since their inception 50-100 years ago! Our martial weapons seem to be at, what is at least a temporary zenith when it comes to "Grunt" primary weapons.

Look back in history. In 1869/1870, the primary US martial long arm was either a percussion .58 caliber rifle musket or a "modern" Allin conversion in either .58 rimfire or 50-70 Government. Imagine fast forward 70 years (the length of time the carbine and almost the Kalashnikov have been going strong) to 1940. A soldier with that weapon would be a joke. Look at the 1851 .36 caliber Colt's Navy revolver. Flash forward to 1951, and it is not even any longer competitive, let alone first rate after 100 years like the 1911.

In an era when the practical and useful life before the obsolescence of most consumer goods (cameras, computers, phones, etc) gets shorter and shorter, these martial firearms go against the trend and have astounding longevity of viability and practicality. Even other martial firearms like the M1 Garand or it's improved offspring, the M14icon, or the FN FAL have this same longevity. It seems once we reached reliable semi and full automatic firearms, we peaked quickly. None of the mentioned firearms (1911, M1 Carbine, AK, M16, M14, etc.) have changed in any major way. Changes have been superficial: either in ways of manufacturing, some changes in materials, or externals such as stocks and optics.

If you think about it, it is testimony to the vision and skills of designers like John Browning, John C. Garand, Eugene Stoner, and Michael Kalashnikov.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by imarangemaster; 12-01-2009 at 12:02 AM.

2. Thank You to imarangemaster For This Useful Post: