I didn't go into the service until December 1975, however I was stationed at Gulfport, MS off and on for 20 years. This place was a major storage depot for the stuff. It was stacked all over the place, then finally put in one spot. They had a leak there and it got into the drainage ditches and killed everything fish included, all along 28th street down to the base outfall at canal road. At the time I was stationed at NCTC, which had ditches all around us, killed everything. Right after Hurricane Katrina a developer tried to build some housing on land along canal road, and was stopped because of finding it again. Then the navy or someone did a massive cleanup behind a housing authority property along canal road. I was there when they brought in aggregate dryers and burned all of the soil in the storage area. Point being a lot of us that were stationed there have come down with diabetes. We are from all across this country. I'm one of two guys that has a claim pending with the VA on this.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.