A couple of weeks ago, I went to Camp Perry, and visited the CMPicon store during the national matches. I wasn't looking for a Garand. Ostensibly, I was headed to Vendors' Row for some bullets, surplus M1icon parts, and some Wolf Match Extra.

Before I could get out of the CMP store, the siren song of the M1 called, and I ended up with a CMP Springfield Special Grade. It's one fine rifle, and a ball to shoot. The only thing I did, was to clean the rifle, then take it to the range and run some M1 ball through it.

The second rifle is a bit of serendipity. I took two others to a local gunsmith; one for a new barrel, and one to have the barrel remounted (It had been over-turned and was about four degrees past TDC.) He handled both rifles perfectly. While there, I noticed a rather different Garand in his sale rack. It turns out that this one is a custom-made commercial receiver. It's chambered on 7.62mm NATO, has a match barrel, custom stock, and Redfield Palma rear sight, and I swapped out the orlginal front sight for a Redfield Olympic. The heavy stock, and the 7.62mm caliber make it a ball to shoot. The original, now late, owner only used it in four matches.

Here are a couple of photos of the rifles:

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.