Ladies and Gentlemen!
Short time lurker, new poster.
I have been impressed with the Expertise and Professional manner in which everyone here treats each other. Hence I have decided to post!
I recently acquired a 1903 Springfield that is due to be rebuilt. The barrel is pretty destroyed to answer that question!
I will post pics as I go along, but would like some input from the Experts here.
The Springfield in question is receiver #: 1203xxx. Which I believe puts it in the early 1920's. The barrel is dated: SA 8-30.
The stock is a Remington pinned (mid 1940's replacement?) with a smooth buttplate. The stock has no cracks, and no deep external cartouches or marks near the magwell/ floorplate or "pistol" grip area. I "think" I can make out a faint mark near the mag cut-off, but I may be tricking myself into seeing it! The end (forend) of the rifle has a mark that looks more like a "B" than a flaming bomb. The buttstock is marked: BY 32. Both are incised and white. Simple rack numbers.
What I plan to do, is this:
1. Replace the barrel with a period part (1903, prefer a SA or early HS barrel) to match the SA receiver. I look for guidance here. What would be a common barrel/ receiver combination?
2. Stock will be restored to 100% Remington. This will be until I upgrade to a real SA stock.
Questions as follows:
1. Correct buttplate type for a "pinned" Remington stock?
2. Would the stock parts be "milled" or stamped for a Remy of this era? I sometimes see ads for both types of barrel bands and buttplates.
3. What would be a correct SA stock for this rifle (with the above receiver SN)? Different sources tell me this was a 1903 or 1903A1?!?!? Is this a "scant stock" or "C" stock... or?
4. Is it "normal" for this Remington stock to be lacking in cartouches if it was a replacement, or has "time" worn the marks away?
5. What is the correct handguard. I have a "split" type (which is unmarked and also broken). I would like a match to the Remington stock.

My reference has been the book by Canfield, but I like to do research from all avenues.

I would like to make this rifle eventually correct as possible for a "rebuilt" service rifle.
Thanks for any and all help!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.