+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why are my images from Photobucket, ImageShack etc. copied to milsurps.com?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Administrator

Site Owner
    Last On
    @
    Real Name
    Doug
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    12:49 AM
    My Videos in Video Club
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoubleD View Post
    First, thanks for being proactive on this. I have wondered how long it would be before those free photo hosting site were used to transmit virus. Most folks don't know those sights are not private and your photo stored the can be accessed by anyone. I have over 4000 images stored on my commercial pay site that i have used for over 10 years. and I sure would want some one to infect those. They can only be accessed by me. They have had antivirus protection for years. Off course nothing is perfect and the system can be broached by the determined.
    You're welcome ... was a little expensive for a "free" not-for-profit site to hire an external contractor to code this, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry in handling the content members share so graciously with each other.

Has the source of the virus attack be found at Imageshack? One report said it was as the result of the advertisers trying insert ad code in linkages.
    I've heard a lot of different stories, but the developer who works on our behalf said it was a pretty serious breach of their environment and nobody really knows the result of the damage done. I would assume they plugged the hole, but you do have to wonder about the nature of this kind of virus attach, since most people assume large commercial sites are safe.

You might want to recheck your facts about Cast Boolits. They are not blocking images from out side sources, but have opened their own hosting site. They still allow outside hosted pictures.
    Will do....

Perhaps I miss-understood the email they sent us ...

Edit post: Just re-read the email and I think you're right. In fact, they may not even be blocking Imageshack, just continuing to let people link to them, except they are now offering their own in-house storage, similar to our own Members Photo Gallery, which I mentioned in the announcement. I'm not sure how this fixes the exposure, because unless EVERYONE uploads there pics, then just one person who posts a link to any external web site image source is exposing the entire membership to a possible virus. So, now I am officially confused.

Regardless, this new system here is transparent with little disruption to the way our members operate, but significantly reduces the risk of exposure to any visures transmitted by image viewing.

Thanks again for the heads up ...

Thanks for being a part of the Online Gun Community, especially Cast Boolits. We here at Cast Boolits just wanted to inform you of some new software we implemented today. Imageshack which is a popular image hosting website was struck with a virus a few weeks back which made many of their images send out some harmful code to everyone who viewed their images. We had to implement some quick actions to help control that outbreak and Imageshack got it taken care of as well. Based on this outbreak we thought it necessary to implement a new Image Hosting solution that would be controlled by Cast Boolits, we call it simply “Image Hosting”. It’s similar to how Imageshack hosts their images in that, your images can be uploaded to OUR server, and the software gives you all the code you need to post these images on our website as well as on other websites and forums. Based on Bandwidth requirements we have to implement a system to help control how many images we host as well. We already have a subscription system in place on Cast Boolits which can be found here: Cast Boolits . So our break down is this:
    Regular Members get to host 15 images,
    Contributor Members get to host 40 images,
    Patron Members get to host 70 images,
    And Sponsors get to host 100 images on our website. You can sign up for one of those memberships at the above link. The donations received will go towards bandwidth and server costs as well as for future upgrades.
    More information on this system can be found here:
    *Image Hosting* Tutorial and FAQ - Cast Boolits
    You can also donate to help keep the board running by going here:
    Cast Boolits Home - Donations
    Thank you for your time and if you have any questions please direct them towards the helpful link above or you can contact me directly by replying to this e-mail.
    Thank you,
    Willy Snyder CEO/CFO GunLoads.com

I usually read use agreements pretty closely and missed the part in your agreement about free use of my work. Will you new soft ware wash my watermark if I use it? I certainly had no intention of surrendering ownership of my work.
    Absolutely not ... your work is your work and is ALWAYS owned by you. Nothing is added or removed in the content, such as watermarks. It's only scanned for potential hidden viruses, converted to a JPG (if necessary) and re-sized to 1024x768 or less as explained in the original announcement.

All the member is doing is granting us a license to continue to use (display) the image for the benefit of all members, that the same member originally either uploaded or linked to in the first place. Does that help explain it better?

Thanks for your feedback .. much appreciated ..

Regards,
    Doug
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by Badger; 03-03-2011 at 10:03 AM.

2. Thank You to Badger For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread