I would not recommend changing the bolt out. The head space issue is a legit one and even though these old warhorses are sturdy, it is not worth risking the extra pressure if the head-space happens to shift with a different bolt. Additionally, though these aren't exceptionally pricey now, they will be shortly and changing out parts or modifying them could/would reduce value in the future. (we all have watched the humble mosin-nagant slowly climb up the tree of value in the past decade or so...) I can tell you that even without an optic, these are deadly accurate, as much to do with the round as the rifle and are superb in factory configuration for just about any type of shooting. My advice, as with these other guys is to leave it alone and use it as is. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with its performance though a straight handle can be a little different at first (I actually prefer a straight bolt now, but I am strange...)
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.