(Edged Weapons Forum)
    Last On
    02-23-2016 @ 03:41 PM
    Local Date
    05-11-2024
    Local Time
    10:54 AM

Swiss K31 up-grade for straight shooting

I've been a working gunsmith since the mid-1980's, but, this surplus thing is relativly new to me. I have been doing a lot of tweeking on my personal stuff in the pursuit of straight shooting. I bought a Swissicon k31 last year and was very impressed with the 3" groups at 100 yrd. off Mr. bench (considering I only paid $110.00 for the gun). Then I read some place they often shoot much better than that, also that they had free floated barrels. This was not the case with mine, age, gravity and moisture effected the wood to the point where it would not move. If yours floats already no need to read further

Considering the gun has a fantastic bore but the wood is a little, shall we say well used, I figured I'd play with it just a bit. I rasped out the barrel channel just enough to free it up aound 0.020" total clearence. Then preceeded to re-oil the channel so not to soak up any moisture and re-match the finish. I also polished caming surfaces in the bolt and "very" slightly dressed up the sear on the surface grinder bringing the trigger down to 2.5", maybe later I'll install trigger stops to rid some of the trigger creep, but for now I can live with it.

The difference was very noticable. The groups wiill shoot 1.5 to 2" off Mr. Bench as long as I do my part. I asked the guy who got me into the surplus stuff where I can get some match grade Swiss ammm and he got a good laugh, it seems thats all the Swiss ever made. Sounds good to me. If you guys have a Swiss K-31 of a non-collectable varity thats not shooting around the 2" mark, check to see if your barrel can move.HTH-SDH
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by sdh1911; 10-30-2006 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling error