I picked up a couple of Milsurps to decorate my "Man Cave". One is a nice 1942 Mosin Nagant 91-30 that came with accessories, and the second is a 1944 Long Branch, No4 Mk1*. I plan to use them as part of a milsurp arrangement, along with my Rock-Ola M1icon Carbine, some military helmets/other things, as well as, some historical photographs on the wall showing the firearms in action.

Anyway, the Long Branch doesn't have a lot of markings on it,other than a variety of letters. It does have the serial number on the rear band, on the back of the bolt handle, and on the bottom of the magazine. Long Branch and date on left side of receiver. In addition, it has an S in a box on the buttstock, which I assume indicates Savage. It also has an N on another location on the buttstock. The front barrel band has a circle with some numbers in it. There is a crown on the bolt head. I also noticed an "F", and an "M" in different areas of the bolt. The rear, upper hand guard is also grooved which I've read is earlier than 1944. Also under the wood are some letters, and the number 43. I'm assuming that the 43 is the date of the barrel. Is it possible for a 1944 Long Branch to have a 43 dated barrel, as it came from the factory, or does the 43 date indicate a replacement. I assume the gun is a parts gun, but I really have no experience with Enfields, so I'm unsure. Thanks for any help.

By the way, I just discovered this very nice site. I look forward to surfing, and learning. Thanks for any help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.