Has anyone installed the SARCO replica, high turret scope mount on a K98icon?

When I purchased my Lee Enfield #4mk1 (T) scope mount for my Savage (T) I also ordered one of SARCO's turret mounts for the K98. The (T) mount worked perfectly and was very close to the centerline of the bore. The scope zeroed with very little windage or elevation used. Hopefully the turret mount will work out as well as the (T) mount.

I am moving on to my next project and want to have the SARCO turret mounts installed on a K98 that has a excellant barrel, but is not a collectable rifle. I am looking to have a shooter when I finish.

Is there anyone out there that has experience or knows anyone that has knowledge installing these mounts? I would appreciate any information reguarding the installation of this mount.

Any problems or things to watch for when installing the mount? It appears the the radius of the SARCO front base will need to be fitted to the receiver ring radius. The rear base fits the receiver bridge very closely.

I understand that the original German turret mounts were soldered on and then held with two, angled screws (one on each side of the receiver). I was thinking that instead of soldering the front base, I would have two extra holes drilled and tapped on the centerline of the receiver ring (Like conventional bases), so that would give me four screws holding the front base. This would eliminate the soldering phase of the original installation, but give me a solid mount. I would then use JB Weld to fit the base, thus eliminating any slight variations between the ring and the base.

I would use the same fitting procedure for the rear base.

Any comments on my thought process for this installation or am I going wrong with this installation?

I discussed this with Chuck in Denver and he said he would be interested in doing the installation. I understand he does good work.

Thanks for your help. Doug Rosso
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.