+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Gun Collecting Software?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Site Sponsor nmCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last On
    02-05-2013 @ 09:35 PM
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    31
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    09:40 PM

    Post Gun Collecting Software?

    As the author of several collecting software packages I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on why or why not you do or do not use software to help manage your collection. I do not intend to debate the reasons but I will contribute if it seems reasonable.

    Thanks,



    Clay Pryor

    p.s. here are links to the collecting software that I have written:

    NM Gun Collector for the Android
    NM Collector Software | any collection any computer
    NM Gun Collector Software ( now free )
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by nmCollector; 03-09-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: correct name

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
     

  3. #2
    Moderator
    (Deceased Nov 16th, 2019)

    JimF4M1s (Deceased)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    07-25-2019 @ 01:51 PM
    Location
    USA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,439
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    09:40 PM
    I fill out a data sheet and scan it into my files. I take pictures and load them onto photo bucket with the link attached to my data sheets. For pouches (300+) I did my own spread sheet on Excel with the specific information I wanted.
    Maybe it's being older and not growing up with computers. But I don't feel I need anything else.

  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Really Senior Member Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    04-16-2018 @ 03:38 AM
    Location
    Colorado
    Age
    84
    Posts
    580
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    10:40 PM
    Not being a "Komputer Nut" I find the ones I've looked at to be beyond me!
    I just keep a model, mfgr & ser nr list.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

  6. #4
    Contributing Member Sarge1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    523
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    11:40 PM
    I tried it for 3 weeks and entered all my firearms, edged weapons, as well as memorabilia, picture accompanied each.

    I used a thumb drive and the most aggravating factor was the incredible slowness, 5-10 minutes each time I desired to save and shut down. I opened it once or twice a day and it never got any better. I have a monitor for CPU Usage (Intel) and it was maxed out operating this software.

    The final straw was when I showed my friend and fellow collector what it did for me, that;s when whole firearms simply disappeared and I could not access them. I was so frustrated as well as embarrassed that I spent the next night making my own inventory in an Excel Spreadsheet, that open and closes < 5 seconds and doesn't take up the space required operate it, even in the background.

    I would never had said this in any review or link about my dissatisfaction with the NM-software, however you asked, but I would not recommend it to anyone. You spent a lot of effort creating it, some well thought sections, but it just didn't perform as I'd hoped.

  7. #5
    Really Senior Member Emri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    10-12-2019 @ 10:04 AM
    Location
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Posts
    479
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    11:40 PM
    The information about rifles I collect, but for manufacturer,model number, and Ser. No. doesn't fit into the "standard" catagories for firearms in general. M1icon carbines and Garands can be done on a computer, they have "types" and drawing numbers for the correct parts as they have been picked to death by collectors. I have to analyze each rifle in my collection and make notes of what specific features each has. A data sheet could only contain simple information. Besides that, I don't know how to manipulate things such as you design as I am not a computer guy.

    FWIW,

    Emri

  8. #6
    Moderator
    (Deceased January 2016)


    Harlan (Deceased)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last On
    01-04-2016 @ 04:42 PM
    Location
    Texas - USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,727
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    10:40 PM
    Real Name
    Harlan
    Similar to Jim, I just use an Excel spreadsheet to save everything. It's simple, easy to add info to, most everyone has the software, and it keeps all the info I'll ever need.

    As Chuckindenver always says, "Keep it simple, and don't reinvent the wheel"

  9. #7
    Site Sponsor nmCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last On
    02-05-2013 @ 09:35 PM
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    31
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    09:40 PM
    Thread Starter

    Wink Thanks for the feedback :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge1998 View Post
    I tried it for 3 weeks and entered all my firearms, edged weapons, as well as memorabilia, picture accompanied each.

    I used a thumb drive and the most aggravating factor was the incredible slowness, 5-10 minutes each time I desired to save and shut down. I opened it once or twice a day and it never got any better. I have a monitor for CPU Usage (Intel) and it was maxed out operating this software.

    The final straw was when I showed my friend and fellow collector what it did for me, that;s when whole firearms simply disappeared and I could not access them. I was so frustrated as well as embarrassed that I spent the next night making my own inventory in an Excel Spreadsheet, that open and closes < 5 seconds and doesn't take up the space required operate it, even in the background.

    I would never had said this in any review or link about my dissatisfaction with the NM-software, however you asked, but I would not recommend it to anyone. You spent a lot of effort creating it, some well thought sections, but it just didn't perform as I'd hoped.
    Before I reply I just want everyone reading this to know that I do keep a history of known issues which includes the ones you listed. Anybody can see what issues I am aware of at any time and how I resolved them. Of course, if one does not tell me about issues they are having with my software I can't do anything to help them.

    How long ago did you use NM Collector Software? Running from a USB flash drive is certainly slower than running it directly from a hard drive. However, I did increase the speed substantially with version 2.4.0 and I am now at version 2.5.1.

    Based on similar experience with others not familiar with running programs off of a USB flash drive I suspect the following might be the cause of your lost data. One thing that must be done when using a flash drive is to safely remove it after properly shutting the program down. Several people have lost their data because they just removed the flash drive without shutting it down properly. I try to educate people on that but it seems only natural to just unplug the flash drive when done.

    Every time you shut down NM Collector Software it saves your data to the database which, when you are running off of a USB flash drive, resides on the flash drive so if you remove the flash drive without allowing the program to finish saving your data you lose some or all of your data. Other programs to one degree or another work the same way. This is one reason why it is a very good idea to always back up your data!


    I am truly sorry you had problems with the software but you do still own a lifetime subscription. Perhaps you should consider using the desktop version. That way there will be no USB flash drive issues. You could always backup to the USB flash drive and use it only when sharing with others. That way if the flash drive fails for any reason you can always recover your data from your desktop.

    Just a suggestion.

    Thanks again!



    ---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    The information about rifles I collect, but for manufacturer,model number, and Ser. No. doesn't fit into the "standard" catagories for firearms in general. M1icon carbines and Garands can be done on a computer, they have "types" and drawing numbers for the correct parts as they have been picked to death by collectors. I have to analyze each rifle in my collection and make notes of what specific features each has. A data sheet could only contain simple information. Besides that, I don't know how to manipulate things such as you design as I am not a computer guy.

    FWIW,

    Emri
    NM Collector Software has a Data Sheet for that very purpose! Here is a sample screen shot of the Data Sheet.

    Last edited by nmCollector; 02-18-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: minor editing

  10. #8
    Contributing Member Sarge1998's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    523
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    11:40 PM
    Thanks for the analysis Clay. I had used the version available in late December 2011 or January 2012, and your guess on how the data was lost could well have been from removing the thumb drive before the closing process was done.

  11. #9
    Really Senior Member gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last On
    09-02-2018 @ 08:20 AM
    Location
    Bavaria, Germany
    Posts
    1,657
    Local Date
    05-25-2020
    Local Time
    04:40 AM
    Looks very similar to a german collectors software i´m using. But good anyway!
    Regards Ulrich

    Nothing is impossible until you've tried it !

  12. #10
    Site Sponsor nmCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last On
    02-05-2013 @ 09:35 PM
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    31
    Local Date
    05-24-2020
    Local Time
    09:40 PM
    Thread Starter

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge1998 View Post
    Thanks for the analysis Clay. I had used the version available in late December 2011 or January 2012, and your guess on how the data was lost could well have been from removing the thumb drive before the closing process was done.
    No problem. Once again, sorry you lost your data. If there is another reason for lost data I have not found it yet but would really like to know so I can fix it! Part of my company vision, which can be found here, is to protect people's hard earned data.

    Do you think you might be willing to give it another try? Like I say, you still have a lifetime subscription and it might work better for you with your main copy on your hard drive which you can copy to a USB for backup and for sharing with others.

    Thanks again,

    Clay

    ---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Looks very similar to a german collectors software i´m using. But good anyway!
    Can you share a link to that software so we (mostly I) can take a look at it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Collecting Enfields -How many?
    By jss in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 11:02 AM
  2. First Post and Trying out the Forum Software
    By Cass in forum M1 Garand/M14/M1A Rifles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 04:20 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts