I recently purchased a Winchester M1icon Garand (built May 1944) from a friend of a friend, I got what I felt was a very good deal until reading about the negative attitude towards Blue Sky. When I bought the M1 I was completely unaware of the issues surrounding Blue Sky, such as warped barrels from heavy stamping, poor/improper repair, etc. However, everything I read about Blue Sky has to do with Springfield M1s, I can't find any information about Winchester.

I took the M1 out this past weekend and it shot straight, I didn't notice any issues at all.

I have attached some photos, and I am curious in getting the opinions of others who are much more experienced with M1s than I am.

From what I can tell there does not seem to be much (if any) muzzle wear (photo below), the barrel looks almost new and the rifling looks fine with no visible issues.
The Blue Sky stamp on the barrel does not look to be too heavy (to me), there are parts of the stamp that are not pressed (the bottom and top of several letters).

But if anyone has knowledge of what I should look for or any concerns from what they see in the photos could please give me some feedback I would be incredibly thankful!

(Please keep in mind these photos were taken with a point and shoot camera with a wide angle lens so the straight lines may not look exactly straight in the photos.)

Blue Sky Stamp

Muzzle

Receiver

Receiver and Rear Sight

Receiver Bolt Closed

Receiver Bolt Open

Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.