Hi all, I’m new to posting on milsurps but have enjoyed countless heaps of information from past posts and I’m kind of hoping someone can help confirm my fears.

I recently purchased a sporterized Carcano rifle from a local gun show. I believe this is what’s left of a 91/41 in 6.5 Cal. The only markings besides the serial number on the receiver are the crown and "FAT 42". I bought this hoping I could find a replacement stock for it and restore it to its former glory but I’ve got some other concerns.

First of all the bolt handle is kind of sticking off the side at an awkward angle. It doesn’t lie flush with the furniture as does my Lee Enfield or Kar98K and it actually looks swept rearwards as if it’s been pounded on, and its VERY rough to manipulate. My other major issue is that the Carcano 91/41 is supposed to have a 69cm or just over 27 inch barrel length. Mine is chopped to 22 inches. And the crowning on the barrel looks like hell warmed over.

I've also read that some models have a particularly interesting rifling pattern, with the pattern tightening up towards the muzzle. If that’s true with this model I’m not going to be able to hit a damn thing.

Was it common for these models to be chopped for importation reasons like this? Seems such a shame. At least I didn't pay a lot for it. I should of researched a little more before I purchased but it was a spur of the moment thing.

Any and all thoughts or input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Attachment 35249Attachment 35248Attachment 35250Attachment 35251Attachment 35252Attachment 35253
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.