I've been fighting with my Norinco M14 for the last year and a half.

My first issue was with a Troy Battlerail that when installed caused the rifle to short stroke and fail to feed. I never managed to resolve that problem. The rifle is now wearing a Vltor stock and Vltor M14 rail. It runs now, but the accuracy is, to say the least, terrible. I'm getting 6-8 inch "groups" at 100m regardless of the ammo used. I've read lots of posts all over the web and I don't even know where to start.

Lots of the info mentions checking for fit in various areas, like stock to stock ferrule, etc, but I can't find any that mention how the parts actually should fit. Clearly, I don't have the background knowledge that I need to understand what I'm reading.

The gas cylinder is shimmed properly. It gets snug at about 4 o'clock and tight at 6. The rail is tight and straight. The scope and rings are tight.

I'm not looking for match accuracy. Service level groups would be just fine by me. If anyone can point me in the direction of useful information or help out here, I would be very appreciative. My brain is getting quite bruised from all the banging into the brick wall.

Thanks,
Steve

The offending rifle:

Norinco M14S shortened to 18.5", Vltor stock and rail, Bushnell 6500 1.25-8x in Leupold rings, match op-rod spring guide and USGI spring.