Hello Everyone, I am a newbie to the antique weapon world and need your expertise and advice. During my travels overseas, I came across this beautiful 1861 Enfield Snider MkII** two-band rifle that I couldn't pass up. I have very little information on its history but the character I purchased from stated that it had been in his family for a while and was "obtained" from a cache found underground in a desert in the Middle East long ago by a family member. The family was selling off their possessions for extra money. True? Who knows? From the limited research I have done and from close inspection, I found a few interesting things. This appears to be a legit 1861 Enfield MkII** Short Rifle with a purpose built Snider breach modification. It appears to have all period parts with appropriate markings and I believe this rifle spent some time in an armory before storage. The stock, butt, body and barrel show different levels of use. This rifle has the rare 3 groove rifling in near perfect condition with very few scratches on the barrel surface. I think it was repaired, test fired, and then stored for the long haul. The cleaning rod seems a little odd and has small dimples along the entire length. Like I said, everything seems real but I'm not an expert. I'd love to hear some discussion on this and possibly an idea of what it's worth. Please see the close up pictures below. Thanks guys.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.