Thread: M47C 1944 No4 Mk1 "T" Sportster by Bubba's big brother...

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Last On
    05-25-2023 @ 09:54 AM
    Real Name
    Henry
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    08:34 PM

M47C 1944 No4 Mk1 "T" Sportster by Bubba's big brother...

I went to a local “1000 table” gunshow with friends who were in the market for a Garandicon, and having been about 100th in line when the doors open we had our ideal specimen in the opening minutes…I also found a cluster of Lee Enfields with this sporter as the low ticket item among them…

The good – The remaining principle parts show 1944 Shirley No4 Mk1 heritage and could have been a real T:
    Clear “TR” marked on left wrist, “T” just above the ejector screw, “S” on the forward right receiver wall, Inspection stamps on the rear of the receiver at the butt interface and a scope number on the butt upper, with an “S” of “S51” peeking out of the leather cheek piece. All letters seem of the right size, age (relative to other surface finishes) and type. I double checked it at the show, took a deep breath and took the plunge (I bought enough of the rifle for the low asking price) – several other of the Enfield’s were already being inspected by other buyers!
    When home I started photographing and first strip inspection and found several other M47C marks on various pieces, the rifle serial number on the upper edge of the butt (inside the socket). Uncovering the leather from the butt and revealing the full “S51” and finding the original cheek piece mounting holes – one with a shorn screw protruding. A little coaxing and work should restore the butt and add a repro wood cheek piece.
    It seems a numbers matching rifle, however the wrist and barrel have a “1” prefix, where on the bolt it is an “F” – the rest of the serial is a match, including on the butt (also a "1" prefix) – is this a “Friday afternoon” deviation?
    The barrel shows no sign of recent activity, it has sharp rifling with some darker patches – a sustained cleaning is planned – it’s first for some time..
    The Lyman scope features a post and bar reticle with 4 power and is good condition – time to recycle!
    It has a nice mazakicon butt plate, but nothing in the locker!
    It takes dummy rounds from stripper clips and cycles them nicely without issue to any function.

The bad – Clearly the scope pads are gone – regardless if real or repro! The receiver finish is worn and there are sanding? marks through the (parkerised?) finish that continue through the pad seats. I would not describe the finish to match the brunofixing of my 1945 example – any thoughts? The pads are not with the rifle, and as I shoot CMPicon and similar iron sight events, they may not be sought for a while. The front pad seems to have required a lot of machining to seat in collimation and has distinct mill swirls.
    When I got the scope and bracket off and adaptor out of the rear battle sight I could remove the bolt and found a 0 size bolt head with around 20 degrees of overturn – I will look into fitting a new bolt head and tightening the build per Peter Laidlericon's instructions – it feels like it needs a strip, clean and light lube s it currently gives spring sounds and small “clicks” on cocking.
    The hand guard has a plain trigger guard screw holding good pressure with a suitable collar, but no washer and the draws seem to be good – although not fully leveraged by the front bearing being missing – the barrel is touching the right hand side of the barrel channel in the hand guard and shows no sign of any pencil marks for tracing the serial number at H&H or any stamps on the forward top edge of the receiver wall – all will be replaced and missing parts sought to complete to original spec.
    The seer seems to have been worked -there are also grind marks on the lower receiver at the wrist between the trigger guard crew lugs – and an additional spring worked into the trigger guard (to lower trigger pressure?).
    The rear site is a Fazakerly and has an enlarged and tapped battle sight hole for the aperture bushing – a suitable replacement will be sought.

The ugly - The drilled and tapped scope mount is well done – but has put two holes in the receiver at the breech (about 6 turns deep) and one on in the charger guard…these may get grub screws – any thoughts on restoration options if I go for a full rebuild and refinish (later)?
    There additional stamped marks on the left receiver wall – “L3A1” and what look likes “ROF 53” – the leg of the “R” looks like it could have been a chipped punch, or is formed by a random “ding” and is really a “P”. I call shenanigans unless anybody can make sense of it!

I plan a slow restoration – first off is new front furniture and restored bedding – gives me time to also work on the bolt and confirm headspace, slug the bore etc.. before a test firing and if all is good a spell as a shooter (at whatever level it performs at: target / plinker) then maybe a more intense restoration.

Am interested in any other observations, guidance on restoration subjects posed above and a set of Badgers review panel icons for verification – whichever way it goes! Any signs of the scope per the number on the wrist in the world or historic record?

PS - Yep – they’re reproducing!
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 9 Members Say Thank You to ArtioZen For This Useful Post: