1. It appears that you are you're enjoying our Military Surplus Collectors Forums, but haven't created an account yet. As an unregistered guest, your are unable to post and are limited to the amount of viewing time you will receive, so why not take a minute to Register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to our forums and knowledge libraries, plus the ability to post your own messages and communicate directly with other members. So, if you'd like to join our community, please CLICK HERE to Register !

Already a member? Login at the top right corner of this page to stop seeing this message.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Threaded View

Advisory Panel
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Real Name
    Roger Payne
    Local Date
    05-18-2024
    Local Time
    10:34 AM
    Hello Andrew,
    Welcome to the forum. I sounds like you have a Periscopic Prism Co scope of 1915/16 vintage that would almost certainly originally have been fitted in an offset dovetail type side mount on a Mk3 or Mk3* SMLE. All of the SMLE snipers were ordered to be stripped down for salvageable parts just after WW1 & most scopes were sold off as surplus (though a few (mainly Aldis types) were kept against future need). Consequently original rifles are virtually unobtainable, & whilst commoner, even scopes are quite scarce & sought after by people like me! If the scope bears its original rings it will have considerably greater value than if not, but even a 'ringless' scope is of some value.

Nobody can tell you what you should do with this item. I would always give it a home, but I am a collector of WW1 sniping equipment. In your case I think it must come down to whether the scope has any sentimental value to you, with it being a family heirloom of sorts. If it does, then I'd keep it. However, if it means little to you & you would prefer to buy yourself a new rifle (or whatever) with what the scope would bring if you sold it........then perhaps that is the way to go.
    If you are purely concerned with maximising what you get then I guess 'that internet auction site' (!!) is the place to put it on.
    As an idea of value, I bought an example of exactly this type of scope last week. It was complete with rings, but had one of the little capstans missing & a few other issues that needed sorting out (though nothing too serious - it's with my scope repairer now). I paid a little over 600 pounds (UKicon) for it. But bear in mind it had its original rings on it which makes a considerable difference to the price.

I hope this helps.

ATB.
    Last edited by Roger Payne; 05-08-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: clarification.

2. The Following 6 Members Say Thank You to Roger Payne For This Useful Post:

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE