At first glance, the Ishapore 2A1 is so ugly and unique, that I just had to have one. I said to myself, if I ever had to buy an Enfield, it would be the No. 1 MK III... I just did not want to learn the 303 cartridge. But now, finding out that the No. 1 MK III could be had in 308 was just too good to pass up. So I found this rifle on gun broker and gave it a home.

Attachment 53666

Attachment 53667

The inside of the stock was caked in cosmo, so I enjoyed myself cleaning this one up.

I had some light 308 rounds loaded for another rifle that no longer existed (sold off) that I decided to shoot in this rifle, they were reloaded by myself using the following components:

Remington case 1X fired; CCI #34 primer (like a magnum primer); 155gr Nosler CC bullet & 42gr of IMR 4895 in the first five rounds and 42,5gr in the 6th.

Had I read up more on this rifle, I would have never attempted a commercial case in a NATO chamber. Nonetheless, the chamber headspaced well on all three gauges for a 308, so I shot the above mentioned rounds. I started with the five rounds loaded with 42gr. Bolt lift on all rounds seemed excessive, and quick visual noted that maybe the Remington case was being stressed. Primers seemed a little distorted, but othwise fine. The sixth round, which contained the 42.5gr of powder really tossed the warning flag; extremely hard to extract, and a visual noted a flattened primer.

The remaining ammo was pulled, powder dumped and re-measured to 38gr. 21-rounds total, all fired without incident, except for a sticky bolt on lift. Cases were fine, and no primer flattened.

If I take an prepped case (w/out primer or bullet) and cycle it through the chamber, I noticed that the extractor pushes the case so tightly against the back wall, that the drag alone makes for a hard extraction. Just this past weekend I prepped 100 pieces of Lake City Match brass for use in this rifle. I cycled one of the empties just like the Remington, except I had a bullet installed, and it did not drag on the far wall of the receiver.

There is far more info that I can provide on the action, and ammo I plan to use in the near future, But this is a start. This same subject has beat at other forums, but it was pointed out to me that I should have started here first... sorry, but I seem to be late to my own party.

To that, I will add that I did make contact with Brian Dickicon from here on the forum, and presented my issues to hime... of course without having the rifle in hand, he could not be of much help, which is totally understandable.

I am Enfield deficient, in that I only know enough to get me in trouble. The knowledge base is so large, that without incarceration, I do not believe I could consume it all in a timely manner... so I appeal to you good people to help worj through the issues I am having with my one and only Enfield.

For what it is worth, my magazine cycles just fine...
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.