I got this 1892 M89 Danishicon Kragicon about 18 months ago in memory of my Danish Grandfather (avatar) who served in the Danish Army from 1929-1933. I presume this rifle was a WWII bring back from the ETO as it was duffel cut. The Germans disarmed the Danes in the spring of '41 almost a year after their invasion (my mother was born on May 5, 1940, two weeks after the Germans rolled in and grew up under occupation). The confiscated arms were brought back to Germanyicon and reissued to prison guards and rear area troops. I repaired the cut and it sat on my wall since then as I kept searching for ammo for it. I finally got some 8x58r commercial reloads just before the first big snowstorm hit last week. So after 70 years of silence, this 123 year old rifle got to speak again.

With light snow starting and 29 degrees, I thought I'd better try to get a range trip in before the next 1-2 feet of snow coming today through Tuesday make the range impassible. It almost was; only one person had used the 100 yard range last week and I did my cartoon walking impression navigating shin-to-knee deep snow to mount the target. Took about 10 rounds to find out where to aim to hit; turned out that a little under the target got me the most hits at the end. I used the kicked snow to try to found out where the bullets were going; my 7x binoculars can barely read the black at 100 yards. For whatever reason, some of the last shots started key-holing. Very slick action and almost no recoil. These commercial reloads must be on the light side unless American Krags have a similar feel, but I've never shot an American Krag; this was my first ever Krag shoot.

T
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.