I recently purchased a barreled action that is an old one.The odd thing is it has the serial number on right side a "997".The action is a single shot now whether modified I can't say.The bolt looks like a different design than a "A" Bolt but being a single shot rifle the bolt was made by a gunsmith or gunmaker.The action is a round top with a small step at the rear.Round tops were special order in 1934-1935 I believe most had a crescent cut out not the step.The owner stamped his initials "CJH" on the bottom of the rifle.Charles J Hyde was an Olympic shooter in the 1952 Helsinki games,he resided in Wiltshire
The rifle was exported to Englandicon and imported in 1953 then exported again in 1954 than imported in 2009.The British Proofs show pre 1954 and post 1955 marks. The action was rebarreled at Eric Johnson's shop in late 1953.

I have emailed numerous people in England in the gun trade and they have never seen a clone or similar action in England.The owner who I bought this from said it is a Winchester.

Maybe a modified Pre A in this country by a USAicon gunsmith the bolt has an "H" stamped on it.The only action with this type of receiver I've seen is one by Dubiel Arms of Ardmore Ok.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13288112
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.