I have a working W&S sight and two rails for mounting. Now I need an 03 to go with it. I keep looking for an 03 receiver that was drilled for said rail (many never had the rail mounted)but so far its been months and I have only found one for sale with plugged holes but is not affordable...the particular rifle might be popular for reasons not associated with WWI usage.
Option 2 is to drill/tap a low number receiver preferably for the rail but I understand that can be tough. How about spot welding on the rail. The rifle is for living history purposes only (not reenacting), at best to be fired with blanks, and I want the rail mount to be strong enough to safely hold the Warner and Swasey scope. Are there any receivers to be avoided if one is considering drilling/tapping or spot welding.
Rather than rebuild a receiver from a sporter, I was thinking of using either a receiver, barreled receiver, or frankenstein 03, at least until I can find the proper receiver with the three mounting holes (or plugged holes).
Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone you know ever done this for the W & S sight?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.