Hello! Just purchased a custom built target rifle, built off a Remington M1917 action and re-chambered for .308 WIN. It's nothing too special, was re-barreled with a stainless Krieger 30" heavy barrel, 1:14 twist and converted to single shot for F-Class shooting matches. Now, the current stock the rifle is sitting in is in pretty rough shape, with lots of wood filler visible under the clearcoat, as well as a small crack developing around the buttpad, driving me to seek a replacement stock for the rifle. I just recently started shopping around, and came across Boyd's custom gun stocks, which happen to have a M1917 model. I already know I'd have to do some sanding and fitting to accommodate the heavy barrel, but I'm not new to woodworking so I don't think I have to worry there. Problem is, Boyd's stocks are designed around the original M1917 rifle, and therefore feature a hole for the rifle's magazine well. So then I came up with this crazy idea, and decided to ask for your input first. Would it be possible to purchase all the parts for the original M1917 rifle magazine assembly and trigger guard, and try to make the rifle feed via magazine again? How well would .308 rounds seat and feed from the 30-06 magazine? I can't seem to find any single shot/ target stocks for the M1917 action, so this is looking more and more like my only option. Will get some pics in a moment. Thoughts? Any advice/ opinions would be appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.