Last On
    05-25-2023 @ 09:54 AM
    Real Name
    Henry
    Local Date
    05-15-2024
    Local Time
    04:35 AM

Red face Now I've just about seen everything....now I've seen a Mosquito fly

Just a quick butchers and bourbon the MAAM WW2 weekend just passed. I had the honor of joining the 15 recon folks as a re-enactor for a day and a half. This gave a whole new perspective on the show "from the inside". No more attendee parking miles away, waiting for a bus ride, long entry lines etc. I took my eldest in ww2 tank overalls and recon beret and badge with a back woods grade SMLE and No4 Mk1. A quick check-in and we were walking among the display area tents, planesand vehicles. I checked out the evening dance and turned in to our conjoined 8 man tents and bunks. It was great waking up and getting a camp breakfast of fried spam! The old hands were shaving and prepping several changes of clothes for the day - then the covers came off the display vehicles, a couple of jeeps, a half-track and two universal carriers. A quick walk around the static display let me get incredibly close to old favourites (B25, Corsair's, TBM) and then the Mosquito was towed into static before the gate opened. We had 3 hours from breakfast until the crowds starting forming and many new and old friends were greeted. A trip around the swap meet found two used propellers for my man cave (child hood dream) and then I stood for the Mosquito flying display - I had waited 30 years for that too! My highlight was being introduced to a group re-enacting a home guard unit while they were asking for help with authentic drill moves...after a pause and few blank faces I took command of the squad and had them dressed in 2 ranks for a "spot of matching up and down the square" . The show closed around me taking out the propellers one at a time and then a bangers and mash dinner with the chaps in camp before I had to exfiltrate..until next time! Am having trouble with pics from my chrome drive and pad - will try to add more soon.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 14 Members Say Thank You to ArtioZen For This Useful Post: