Hello everyone...

I was directed to this site from a guy on a Rimfire forum. Here is what I posted:

Friend of the family is retiring, and has about 60 guns He is slowly selling. The vast majority are WW II classics (Garandicon's, Springfields, Mausers, 1917 Enfield's, you get the picture)

I really wanted to get some of the Springfields/Garands/1917 Enfield, etc. However, the vast majority of His stuff is in top-notch shape, and runs about $ 850 plus. I really don't want to spend that much, so I asked Him if He had anything in the $ 500 or so range, that maybe needed re-furbished metal and/or Wood. he said No, that all of His stuff was really nice, but He might have something that was closer to my budget.

He pulled out a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 2, that was made in 1954 at Fazakerly. Englandicon, still new in the original box, covered in cosmolineicon, wrapped in paper, along with the included bayonet. I'm not too up to speed on Lee-Enfields, but he showed me the Blue book value at $ 1,000. He said "Nobody realistically pays that $ 1,000, but it would get $ 900 all day long." He said since I'm a friend that He'd let it go for $700, so i agreed.

I really want to remove the Cosmoline and shoot this sucker, but I also don't want to kill the resale value. He said that not many are left in brand new condition, still in the wrappers.

I think in all my years, I've only sold one gun, and have kept everything else....so, i don't think I'd ever sell it. Should i just de-cosmoline it, and have fun, or let it sit as is?

From what I've read, the #4 Mk 2, is the nicest made, most refined of all the models, since the brits had time after the war to take their time with manufacturing it, and had gotten all of the "kinks", out of the design.

Any advise appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.