Last Sunday night I was watching a programme about the Cold War on the Quest channel and part of the programme looked at Afghanistan in the 1980s after the Soviets invaded to "help" the then government of the country. I couldn't help but notice when it showed some footage of the insurgents/freedom fighters using an MG42 or a clone of this M.G..

I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the MG42 or one of it's clones use in Afghanistan during the 1980s, please, and who may have supplied them? Would they be chambered for 7.92 Mauser or 7.62 Nato ammunition? The most obvious source would have been the Pakistan version from that country's military but I'm not at all sure if this would have been politically possible at the time.

I'm not so interested in the more recent conflict in Afghanistan with regards this post but I am interested specifically during the 1980s period, part of the Cold War period.

Thanks for any information.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.