FREE MEMBER
    NO Posting or PM's Allowed
    Last On
    04-01-2018 @ 01:06 AM
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    05:57 AM
    No problem. Mind if I break out the crystal ball and fabricate a history for your rifle? A real crystal ball isn't clear glass - it's more yellow/green. Fireflies inside. Little liquid tray for booze. Don't like the patterns you see? Change the booze.

In 1895 a Lieutenant decided to buy himself a rifle. The army rifles were priced lower than the cost to make them. Good deal that. He bought one. Your rifle.
    In 1897 he decided to get one of them new sights. Ordered it. Springfield put out a price list.
    In 1899 he decided to make his cut-off match the new ones. Cheap part.
    In 1902, now a Captain, he was out at the range and that safety finally annoyed him enough where he decided to do something about it. The M-1892 safety tended to wiggle. Then it reached the flopping stage. Rather than figure out how to change out the safety and whatnot he just did the simple thing - rammed a complete 1898 bolt in the gun. That did leave the hold-open pin as something of a small problem. Two choices presented themselves: ignore it or get an angle grinder and take care of that. Being a Captain he realized that an angle grinder in his hands would likely result in half the extractor joining that pin so he just left well enough alone. Besides, the army was supposed to be getting new Mauser type guns and he'd likely buy one.

When the factory stereo in my car quit I guess I could have bought a replacement from eBay or a junkyard. I didn't like the CD thing. I bought an aftermarket one. Which gave me USB ability and that's nice. That did leave the problem of the steering wheel controls. They don't work. Two choices presented themselves: ignore them or take my angle grinder after them. Understanding that the angle grinder solution would likely result in half my steering wheel disappearing I decided to leave well enough alone. Besides, it was really time to buy a new car with all those fancy new things they have. Like charger clips. Higher velocity cartridges. Shorter barrel. Bigger tires. LED display.

Stupid fireflies. Once they're fully tanked the patterns tend to merge and get weird. Maybe beer works better than rum.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

Last On
    07-30-2021 @ 12:08 PM
    Local Date
    05-20-2024
    Local Time
    04:57 AM
    I like a good story and that's certainly a good and even plausible one. It doesn't have the new fangled cutoff though, the magazine is off with the lever up. Guess we'll have to change that 1899 date. In doing more research, it looks like I'm not going to like the price of an 1892 bolt anyway as the cocking piece is about half what I paid for the whole gun. Just in case I stumble over an interesting and cheap sporter, can you tell me specifically what I should look for? Thanks.

3. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
+ Reply to Thread