Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_in_Oz View Post

So, if the barrel had been made with a right hand twist, would the offset have been the same magnitude, but in the opposite direction?
I'll have to pull out my Longbranch with 6-groove right twist barrel and see where the front sight sits. This post caused me to pull out the big Skennertonicon to re-read the info on this Long-Lee sighting business and I would suggest everyone with an interest do the same. It's way more complicated than I recalled, with some rifles having substantial errors to the right as well as those requiring correction for shooting to the left. Skennerton includes many quotes from period Army documents describing the problems. There is one comment about accuracy issues at 500 yards- have a look at an 8 inch bull at 500 yards through the standard MLE sight- challenging!! I only shoot one of my MLE's, a '96 Canadianicon owned rifle that appears to have the 0.050 left offset of the front sight. It is perfectly zeroed at 200m (laterally) but I had to replace the sight cap with a higher version to get the ranging spot on with my handloads. Skennertons info elevation zero was also an issue at longer ranges.

Ridolpho
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.