Here’s my story…

I’ve been on the hunt for a nice M1917. It’s gotta be nice, because I had a Remington ‘17 that couldn’t do better than 12” with ball ammo from a rest and I swore the next ‘17 was going to have a sweet bore and little MW. So I poke around the usual Tucson haunts, but no luck, just not something I see on the rack much of anymore, and when I do, I see less than my desirable rifle (and a couple real pigs).

I'm about to give up and hope to find a ‘17 at the SAR Show this winter when I decide to try my favorite store in Southern AZ just one more time. We’ll call this store Smith’s Gun Shop for the sake of this conversation. Anyhow, like I say, I go back into Smith’s one more time, and...nope, just a chopped P14 that I can’t seem to want. But for some reason, on my way out the door, I look up at the ceiling 15 feet above my head. Well blow me down, there sits a pretty row of damned near every American long-arm from the Revolutionary War to Vietnam (except no M1903). Right in the proper spot in this train is a stunning M1917 with a stunning M1917 bayonet on the end. So I say to the guy, “how much?” He replies that the ‘17 belong to old man Smith himself, personal collection, not for sale. Hmmm, go get Mr Smith, I says. “He’s not here” replies the help, “and like I said, those aren’t for sale”.

Whatever, I kind of guessed as much, so I let it go. I asked him why no ‘03 and he tells me Smith sold it. Well back the truck up, mister!, I blurt, you just told me those aren’t for sale! WTF, over?!? Another guy come up and says, hey, everything for sale, you just gotta “meet Smith’s price”, then they all bust up laughing.

Fast forward two weeks, jokes on those clowns. After chasing down Old Man Smith, I met his price. Was it cheap? Nope, but whatever, I wanted a nice ‘17 and I got one. Bought it from the personal collect of Smith himself, and I proud of that. Go in his store today, look for the “hole” in the line-up where the ‘17 should be, I made that hole!

So what did I get? Maybe a sweetie, maybe not, but both Smith and I are happy with the deal. This story is going to fall apart because I haven’t giver her a photo shoot yet, but I’ll have photo’s up this weekend. Anyhow, I got a mix-master, Raritan Arsenal rebuild (rebuilt between late 1942 and late 1946 based on cartouche, I’m told). July 1918 Winchester with an August 1918 Winchester barrel. Remy stock, United Shoe bolt, rest mostly Winchester. Bore...mirror bright and strong rifling. Wood...dark as midnight, but looks to be due to being covered in old rock hard grease or cosmolineicon or??? Rest of rifle, dark, also covered in some hard nasty storage grease. Took me two weeks to clean her up and damn if she isn’t stunning. It almost looks “too good” like it went thru rebuild and got put away. Bolt face looks clean, like not a mark on it, all internals look flawless. Action is super tight with very, very little handling marks. Finish more or less flawless, but I can’t tell what type of finish it is, damned near looks like paint, or some funky blue-ing? Doesn’t have the discoloration I usually see (and thing of as heat treat discoloration?) on the left side fo the receiver. Can’t wait to get photo’s up, I sure someone here can tell me about the finish. Who knows, maybe I got a home re-finish that only looks good? Hope not, stunning rifle, hope it correct as from arsenal. Oh yeah, it came with a museum quality Remington M1917 Bayonet, no scabbard, but finest un-touched, un-sharpened, un-handled M1917 pig stabber I’ve ever seen.

Took her to the Gun show on Fathers day, 100% of the dealers who fondled her said I “did well” at the price I paid (one guy said Smith is his friend and he probably paid $20 bucks for it a lifetime ago, wasn’t surprised I paid a truly fair price). Everyone was goo-goo over the bayonet, that blade took the most “best I’ve ever seen” comments award. Had to say not for sale a lot!

Anyhow, like I said, that’s my story. Pictures to follow. Sorry for being long winded...
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.