It sounds like an FN model 50.

As I understand it, they were built by FN, in 30-06 as a stopgap rifle that could use the abundance of .30-06 ammo available post ww2.

Bear in mind that at the same time, they were churning out the FN-49 in the same calibre for their front-line forces and in several other calibres for export.

Proper Model 50s have a small radiused notch in the top rear of the breech ring to clear the tips, if 30-06 ball rounds are being loaded in by charger clip.

There also seemed to be two distinct "batches" of these on the surplus market.

There were the ones that had seen "service" in the Belgian Congo; These tend to be scruffy, with rotted-out bores and a nasty black paint finish.

The other group, some of which arrived here in Oz in the early 1970's appear to have been ex Belgian Forces. They were arsenal refurbs, complete with the interesting grey finish typical of Belgian arms of the time. Most seem to have had their Belgian crests ground off before refinishing. Bores were bright and sharp. Not for long, in most cases. Concurrently arriving on our shores at the time, was a huge quantity of Frenchicon-made .30-06 ball ammo, both brass and steel cased. These seem to have been fitted with the most corrosive primer ever known to man.

Unfortunately, most locals seemed, for some strange reason, to believe that all .30-06 was non-corrosive, .

Most of these fine rifles ended up being "donor" actions for sundry sporting rifle projects. One "cheap and cheerful" conversion involved running a .308 Norma Magnum reamer in, opening out the bolt face and whacking on a robust scope and mount.

.308 Norma has the neat feature that has in overall length very similar to the .30-06. The existing mag box, whilst holding fewer rounds, seems to work OK, as opposed to the longer, but ultimately more popular, .300 Winchester Magnum.

Yes, I had one, and "sporterized" it, (in .30-06), as did just about everyone in my shooting circles of the time.

As one would expect, a nice, unmolested one is worth a lot more than a "sporter" version here and now.