Ok, been trying to teach myself something about these, with the hopes of acquiring one. I am having second thoughts, as I see a lot of guns that are just plain wrong, not carbines but rather cut down rifles? Also see quite a few things that do not add up with my limited knowledge of these. A few things confuse me:
1- Is it correct all carbines made after some time in 1886 should be stamped as Model 1884? Is it possible that Model 1873 carbines were made late into the 1880s and early 1890s? I see a few 1873 marked receivers with high serial numbers?
2 - I see listings for model 1879 carbines? My understanding (limited) is that there is no such thing? There are only 1873 and 1884?
3- I see quite a few rifles with serial numbers that would indicate (according to Poyer) a certain year of manufacture, but a cartouche on the stock that is a completely different year. Leads me to think, these are possibly like M1icon Carbines, and at times were rebuilt at Springfield or somewhere in the military and parts got all mixed up? Or is that not likely?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.