I've got me a bit of head-scratcher here. It's an English Pat.1827 naval sword, for the most part, but has a "hybrid" blade and I've not been able to find another one like it in my research. It was retailed by John Symons, Devonport (1823-1850) so it could be William IV or more probably Queen Victoria's era. It's not a true pipe-back blade with the quill point, nor the Wilkinson style fullered blade. It still has it's sword knot, though it's in pretty rough shape, and the top locket is loose on the scabbard (easy fix). In one pic, you'll see what it looked like when I got it. In removing all the old polish residue I had to clean it up a bit but I didn't want to really polish the guard. On a very positive note, the grips are in excellent shape with the wire and fish skin all intact and still nice and tight. Some time ago, someone really spent time sanding or abrading the blade so there's only a very faint trace of the engraving left if you look very closely. Perhaps removing corrosion or rust? Oddly, there's no slug or writing on the ricasso. So, for you blade lovers, check it out. Neat, eh?
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.