I was gifted a Federal Ordnance M14icon and would like to find out it's value if I can.
I have researched it and understand that it's a higher serial number model (22,200 range) assembled with Chinese parts. I have completely disassembled it, cleaned it, and inspected it for wear. The only noticeable wear is on the bolt body only.
I also understand through research that the Chinese failed to achieve the correct hardness on their bolt bodies resulting in premature wear due to being too soft. I have read that I can replace the Chinese bolt with a USGI bolt and that as long as everything else looks good and it is head spaced correctly it will be a perfectly serviceable and reliable rifle. It's a pretty darn good shooter as is but I don't want to continue shooting it with the soft Chi bolt and before I spend a couple hundred dollars or more on a replacement bolt/head space checkup I'd like to know how much the rifle is worth.
Thanks kindly for any and all help.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.