So I finally broke down and picked up a Mosin Nagant... it’s a 1945 Tula build, so I’m guessing it was one of the last to be produced in the Sovieticon Union and probably saw little if any action during the war. I’ve never really liked the Mosin Nagant, but being a history nerd I wanted at least one example of the main arm used by all the major powers in the European theatre. I just find it an ugly rifle with a spotty reputation for accuracy. Still, overall this one is very nice. While the receiver is a bit rough, the barrel has strong grooves and the sights are pretty nice considering they're V-notch. They’re certainly better than my AK iron sights. The bolt is actually surprisingly smooth and the trigger isn’t that bad. It’s certainly better than the one on my M48 Mauser. And that’s presumably still with cosmolineicon coating it. The barrel is still coated in cosmoline, but most of the rest of it seems to have been cleaned and it does a couple of small surface rust spots on the bolt handle.

Maybe this rifle will change my mind on the Mosin once I get it out to the range... But that probably won’t be for a few months.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.