This 1905 Ross just arrived in the mail and I could use a little help confirming it's identity. The seller seemed to believe it is a sporterized Mk II. I was and am of the opinion it is a 1905M factory-built sporting rifle. . Any and all comments and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

The rifle in question has a 22" bbl with "303 Ross" stamped on the reinforce and there are no visible military markings anywhere on the rifle. The front sight appears original to the rifle, but it differs from front sights on Mk II's I have owned and handled. As can be seen in the picture, the muzzle is flat and well finished with no real crown. The bbl mounted rear sight may or may not be original to the rifle. It appears to me the V notch has been dressed off for some reason. Opinions please.

There is what appears to be a poorly struck serial number (X04_X) on the forward slope of the reinforce. There is no sign of a lightly struck digit in the space between the third and fourth digits.There are also the following numbers:
A struck out 58 or 38 on the underside of the bolt body with a 33 adjacent to it.
A 33 and a 41 on the bolthead.
A 39 on the underside of the bolt handle root.

Last, but not least, it has a Lyman No. 50 aperture sight in very good condition mounted to the receiver.

I would rate the rifle in overall very good condition. The bore is shiny and, although the seller rated the rifling as an 8 out of ten, I would rate it about a 6.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.