I was wandering through a favorite gun shop today after work when I spied this Egyptian Helwan sitting behind the counter. I asked my friend who works there to let me see it, as I noticed it bore Arabic script on the left of the slide..."HELWAN 9MM U.A.R. (United Arab Republic) followed by the aforementioned script. Opposite side is a serial number also in Arabic (9557 if I'm not too far off).
Now, I have run into a fair share of the commercial variants, and a few with Arabic markings, but this is the first U.A.R. example I've run across. Had to have it, as it is a really great example of Middle Eastern military history. Not a Danshway, but hey, a pretty early military Helwan.
The bad...broken locking block and no mag. It had been purchased, then returned by the customer after he got it home and discovered what was wrong with it. So the gun shop sold the mag and they were going to have the pistol cut up(!!) I told my friend don't do that, and he ended up letting me have it for $50 with a disclaimer that it was being sold as a parts gun, not to be shot.
Either way, I'm going to try to track down a mag and block. I'm happy to have it. Thought you guys might like to see her, enjoy the pics!
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.