+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Lithgow SMLE

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
  1. #1
    Member Rtf2lover17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last On
    05-30-2018 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    08:03 AM

    Lithgow SMLE

    Hey guys,

    I just put a basically brand new Lithgowicon smle on layaway at my LGS for what seems to be a great deal. It's serial # F 599, so it seems to be of 44 production. I will try to figure out how to upload a pic or two I took of it. Does anyone have any information on these rifles? It has the lithgow factory rebuild tag on it, has a blonde colored stock, finish is 95% from what I can see so far, still has Cosmo on it. Any info is appreciated



    Thanks!

  2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors
    Join Date
    October 2006
    Location
    Milsurps.Com
    Posts
    All Threads
     

  3. #2
    Member artyldr01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Posts
    58
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtf2lover17 View Post
    Hey guys,

    I just put a basically brand new Lithgowicon smle on layaway at my LGS for what seems to be a great deal. It's serial # F 599, so it seems to be of 44 production. I will try to figure out how to upload a pic or two I took of it. Does anyone have any information on these rifles? It has the lithgow factory rebuild tag on it, has a blonde colored stock, finish is 95% from what I can see so far, still has Cosmo on it. Any info is appreciated

    Thanks!
    What kind of information are you looking for? it is likely and Arsenal refurbished rifle that sounds like in pretty good shape. Not sure what you consider a good deal but one in that condition I would say is in the high hundreds. Photos will help quite a bit. Sounds like a potentially very exciting rifle.


  4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
  5. #3
    Member Rtf2lover17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last On
    05-30-2018 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    08:03 AM
    Thread Starter
    Unfortunately I didn't know where to locate import markings at the time, so I wasn't able to confirm it had them or not. Although I trust the shop owner who sold it to me. I can't find how to upload pictures? I didn't take very good detailed ones, will have to look at it again when I pay my next payment..

    Anyway, is it possible for this rifle to be in this good of condition without being a jj co from NY or similar importer? It has an unfinished, very blonde stock that has factory stamps from what I can tell.
    Also, it had the tags on it. It was a yellowish card that from what I understand is the Lithgowicon factory tag, it just says Lee Enfield 303 Britishicon and has the "reasenaled" box checked next to the "unissued" box.
    I know my info is spotty but if someone has seen something like this, it would be helpful

  6. #4
    Member artyldr01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Posts
    58
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtf2lover17 View Post
    Unfortunately I didn't know where to locate import markings at the time, so I wasn't able to confirm it had them or not. Although I trust the shop owner who sold it to me. I can't find how to upload pictures? I didn't take very good detailed ones, will have to look at it again when I pay my next payment..

    Anyway, is it possible for this rifle to be in this good of condition without being a jj co from NY or similar importer? It has an unfinished, very blonde stock that has factory stamps from what I can tell.
    Also, it had the tags on it. It was a yellowish card that from what I understand is the Lithgowicon factory tag, it just says Lee Enfield 303 Britishicon and has the "reasenaled" box checked next to the "unissued" box.
    I know my info is spotty but if someone has seen something like this, it would be helpful
    Not all JJCo were "parts kits." The hang tag, if original from the arsenal would tell a lot. Should be all matching (possibly force matched). Likely to have FTR and MA/## for rebuild date. Just generic info from me really. Import stamps tend to be on rear side of receiver, often faint for earlier imports, newer imports gave the more obnoxious "billboards", but it could be a Pre-import stamp arrival as well. Again, when you figure out photos it will help.


  7. #5
    Member Rtf2lover17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last On
    05-30-2018 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    08:03 AM
    Thread Starter
    Can't resize a picture small enough on the uploader to do it any justice...
    Like I said I'll look at it more when I go back for another payment, and take more pictures that can maybe be uploaded.

    What did you mean by FTR and MA/ numbers? Sorry just am new to these

  8. #6
    Member artyldr01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Posts
    58
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtf2lover17 View Post
    Can't resize a picture small enough on the uploader to do it any justice...
    Like I said I'll look at it more when I go back for another payment, and take more pictures that can maybe be uploaded.

    What did you mean by FTR and MA/ numbers? Sorry just am new to these
    FTR means "Factory Through Repair" the stamp put on arsenal refurbished rifles. MA is the code for Lithgowicon and the two numbers would be the year of rebuild, for example mine is MA/50 Meaning my 1944 rifle was rebuilt by Lithgow in 1950.


  9. #7
    Member Rtf2lover17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last On
    05-30-2018 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    08:03 AM
    Thread Starter


    ---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

    This is a screenshot of the tag that is on the rifle from an old online auction. Same one is strung to the muzzle with a firearms warning tag. Looks like it's never been removed to me because it's old twine tied in a knot

  10. #8
    Member artyldr01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Posts
    58
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtf2lover17 View Post
    https://www.milsurps.com/vbpgimage.p...3&d=1522701045

    ---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

    This is a screenshot of the tag that is on the rifle from an old online auction. Same one is strung to the muzzle with a firearms warning tag. Looks like it's never been removed to me because it's old twine tied in a knot
    Hmm...doesnt look like an arsenal tag (though I'm not super famiar with Lithgowicon documentation) but it feels like it is an importer tag of some sort.


  11. #9
    Member Rtf2lover17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Last On
    05-30-2018 @ 08:37 PM
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    9
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    08:03 AM
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by artyldr01 View Post
    Hmm...doesnt look like an arsenal tag (though I'm not super famiar with Lithgowicon documentation) but it feels like it is an importer tag of some sort.

    Yeah it looks a little corny for an arsenal tag, but did mention is an reasenaled, or arsenal refurbished, can't remember exactly what it was.
    I guess my concerns with it are is I'm just afraid of getting a POS rifle that looks good.
    I figured either import marks or not as long as it shoots good and holds it's value is all I'm concerned about.
    I've heard bad things about certain importers, and I'm just not familiar with any Enfield importers.
    I've only ever bought us milsurp and knew how to avoid them with those.

  12. #10
    Member artyldr01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Posts
    58
    Local Date
    02-22-2020
    Local Time
    09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtf2lover17 View Post
    Yeah it looks a little corny for an arsenal tag, but did mention is an reasenaled, or arsenal refurbished, can't remember exactly what it was.
    I guess my concerns with it are is I'm just afraid of getting a POS rifle that looks good.
    I figured either import marks or not as long as it shoots good and holds it's value is all I'm concerned about.
    I've heard bad things about certain importers, and I'm just not familiar with any Enfield importers.
    I've only ever bought us milsurp and knew how to avoid them with those.
    I was a late comer to foreign milsurp too, but I've rarely seen anything I'd call a "dog" in the Enfield world, though I'm sure they exist. They are my favorite milsurp and I suspect you'll be very happy. Feel free to PM me and I can give you me email to share photos. I sometimes struggle posting pics on forums too.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lithgow SMLE
    By mr.tickle in forum WTS/WTB/WTT (Want to Sell, Buy or Trade) Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2017, 10:40 PM
  2. Help With Lithgow SMLE
    By Col.Colt in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 04-06-2014, 08:08 AM
  3. Lithgow SMLE 41 and 44 - need some help
    By ab212amisar in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 12:48 PM
  4. Lithgow SMLE in .222 cal?
    By Three-oh in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 03:09 AM
  5. Lithgow SMLE .22
    By A6BN in forum The Lee Enfield Knowledge Library Collectors Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-30-2010, 03:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts