04-05-2024 @ 02:42 AM
    Real Name
    Thomas Smith
    Local Date
    05-17-2024
    Local Time
    10:15 AM

Cocking Piece Nose/Sear Adjustment

Hi Gents, a while ago I was doing a trigger job on a No4 or a No1 and I was trying to get the lowest safe trigger pull I could get, and the way I had been doing them to date (freehand on a stone) just wasn't precise enough to adjust the cocking piece sear angle by a degree or other fine margins.
    I thought I'd make a stoning fixture but then found I had one in the form of the vice on the mill. By setting up across to 2 identical diameter rods/pins/drill bits you can set the sear angle to a predetermined angle, measured from the underside of the cocking piece to the jaws, or you could add or subtract a degree or 2 or whatever you want from the existing angle.
    Once setup I remove the rod closest to the cocking piece and lay a diamond stone across the remaining rod and the sear face and run it back and forth rolling on the rod and stoning the face. If the jaws on your vice are in plane the flat that you stone will be perfectly flat, and square. If you have other grades of stones you just run down them until it's as polished as you like.
    This method has given me much more control over these little jobs and cost nothing. It may work well with some of the cheap drill press vices that you can get, and could be no doubt be adapted to many vices or clamp arrangement.
    If you tinker a bit it may help you get a better result easier and more reliably.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. The Following 7 Members Say Thank You to tbonesmith For This Useful Post: