In The Ross Rifle Story, Plates 115A to 121A (pg 171 to 175) showing examples of the Mk II**, the author refers to first and second pattern stocks. It is obvious he is not referring to short and long forearms but, for the life of me, I cannot discern any difference in the stocks other than an apparent difference in the shape of the comb and angle of the butt plate as it relates to the bore. The comb to wrist transition on some is quite sharp, while others are more rounded. There appears to be no correlation between the shape of the comb and whether the stock is a first or second pattern. Due to the varying angles in the photos, I cannot determine if there is a correlation between pattern and butt plate angle. I have not been able to find any discussion of stock patterns anywhere else in the book.

Could someone please explain what the differences in the two patterns are and how one might go about identifying which pattern is on a rifle?

On a possibly related subject, I have encountered somewhat of a challenge with my commercial Mk II** restoration project. The serially numbered butt plate for the rifle and a number of other Mk II butt plates I have measured all have inside top-to-bottom measures of 4.70" measured between the ends of the top and bottom extensions. Since the rifle has both barrel and bridge mounted rear sights and a serial number in the 3xxx range, I take it to be fairly early production. I picked this already-started restoration project up as part of a trade and it came with very well made reproduction timber. The corresponding top-to-bottom measurement at the butt plate inlet is 4.45". In other words, the inlet is 1/4" shorter top-to-bottom than the butt plate. The butt is just as it left the manufacturer. The stock maker will be investigating, and I know he took the pattern from a good original stock. I do not want to infer any negativity toward either the stock or it's maker. The stock is of very good quality and the maker could not be more co-operative. His professionalism and the care he puts into his work is self evident.

Could it be that, if there are first and second pattern stocks, there is a 1/4" difference in butt height between the two patterns? Alternately, is plate angle one of the differences between patterns and does that account for the 1/4" difference?

As always, any and all assistance is very much appreciated.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.