Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chadwick View Post
Yes, that really looks like what I have referred to in other contributions as a "treacle rifle":

Modern jelly-type paint stripper - the stuff that burns your skin (I think it contains some kind of -uol or -ene -toloul? xylene? who knows?) - will remove just about anything - apart from original Urushi lacquer! As others have said, you have nothing to lose.

BUT - you do NOT need to use sandpaper or wire wool. Sorry, let me correct that: NEVER use sandpaper or wire wool. I have described how to do it some detail in a long series about restoring an Argentineicon Rolling block. I suggest you look it up.

Forum/Milsurps Discussion Forums/The Restorer's Corner /Argentino M1879 Rolling Block. Is it worth restoring?

Start on Page 5.
I took a look at that thread and I appreciate the detailed instructions. My question, though, is why it is that I want to avoid sandpaper? It seems to me that sanding would be a lot simpler and safer than gathering all those materials and dealing with volatile chemicals.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.