Picked up a 1915 Enfield SMLE Mk3 at a local gun show. First, the stock has obviously been replaced, as it is immaculate. Also, no provision for volley sights. Other then the wood, the magazine appears to be the only non-matching number I can find, which brings up two questions: First, the butt-stock has a Canadianicon acceptance stamp with a "32" on the underside near the socket. All others are Britishicon. Also, there is an "S" on the toe. Is this a Savage manufactures mark, and did Savage make SMLE stocks? Is the "32" the year? Or, did the previous owner have a No4 stock graphed on?
Second, I noticed that the Socket markings appear to indicate that an "*" was struck out. I understand that this was done on some re-arsenaled rifles after the war. The rifle has the provision for the magazine cutoff, but i can't tell if it was ever installed. Also, the rear sight still has the windage adjustable sight notch, so I'm not sure what that indicates. Sorry for the rambling question, any information would be helpful.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.