Picked up this Carbine today. Today was also a lesson learned in regard to buying firearms second hand. I bought this rifle at my LGS after I looked it over a few times while there. After I got home i dry fired it and noticed that the carbine never made it to the second stage in its trigger and the rifle had been modified to have a hair trigger.

I field stripped the rifle thinking that the sear might be filed down or the sear engagement surface on the bolt. And lo and behold there it was. Bubba ding dang wanted his light trigger pull and by jove he made it happen! Thankful I had the 1896 sporter lying around and I just nicked the part from its bolt. But before I did that, I inserted the modified bolt into the 1896 and closed the bolt. The sear barley engages while closing the bolt and then slips off making the rifle go off.

I manually cocked the bolt and the bolt then became cocked. I lightly tapped the stock of the rifle and the rifle went off. Therefore the part in question was decommissioned for safety reasons.

Next you might also say that it isn't a really Carbine stock because of the sling swivels, but I believe Bubba had his hands in that as well. For when I removed the rear sling swivel and hand carved space had been picked out by our safety minded friend, because darn it he doesn't want to hold the dang thing while he is trompping through woods to his deer hunting hide!

I also found a surprise in the butt trap when I opened it up!

Below are the photos I have mentioned.
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.