Hello all, and thank you for welcoming me to the forum. This is my first post. I was in my Local Gun Shop yesterday, and I saw what looked to be an Enfield Sniper Rifle. It was simply labeled "Sniper Rifle" on the tag (you can see in the pics). I went back today with my son and I bought it. The LGS owner wasnt sure of the value of the rifle. It was put on consignment on Thursday by a local gentleman in his 80s who said he bought it from a gun store in the 60s. He said he put it to the side, and hasnt shot it since.

The mounting bracket (which looks to be chewed up by a Beaver), doesnt match the rifle. I was reading this forum in the store about what may or may not be real and debating on whether to get the rifle.

The scope matches the scope case that comes with the rifle, but not the number on the comb of the butt. It is a few hundred off. The rifle has an S51 on the bottom, and M47C, ENGLAND, and TR on the side of the socket. (?)

The bore is absolutely mint and the scope is super bright and clear. The knobs turned freely.

The gun also came with this really need brass oiler? in the butt.

Finally, what was really cool, is it also came with an old leather bandolier full of stripper clips and rounds. The rounds are FN and dated 65.

The LGS owner said that when the guy brought the gun in, the magazine was loaded. The rifle was basically ready to shoot!

I got it for 1899 and no tax due to consignment status. I know that there are a lot of fakes out there, but based on what I could tell from this forum, this one seems to be legit. So the rifle should be worth at least that much?

Please tell me I didn't take a loss on this purchase! Is this a fake? If so, its a very well done looking fake!

P.S. I put the rifle on my son's shoulder to get a picture of the optics. The scope is actually much clearer than what I could manage to take with my phone. The leather scope cap was very hard to remove from the front aperture.

Thank you all for all comments, questions, and constructive criticism! I am nervous regarding the verdict on this rifle's authenticity and value. At least with such a good bore, it should be a good shooter if that's all it turns out to be.

I couldn't get the pictures to upload, so here is a link to my Google Drive. Thank you again!

No 4 Mk 1 - Google Drive
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.