Contributing Member Micheal Doyne's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 04:23 AM
    Local Date
    07-07-2020
    Local Time
    07:18 PM

What to do with an MM ACII

I have a nice little martini metford artillery carbine, nice except for its chamber is a trifle loose so hot or normal loads back out and jam the block, and itís foresight blade is mostly missing. Additionally it has a rather tight bore and groups surprisingly well....

How would one go about replacing a foresight blade?

Any thoughts on the chamber, it is fine with black powder but typically gets sticky with anything over a minimum load of smokeless, commercial ppu had it home in a vice being tapped open. It is marked D.P. I am guessing on the strength of its chamber, which Iíd say someone tried to polish some pitting out of.
    Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.

2. # ADS
    Friends and Sponsors

Last On
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Local Date
    07-08-2020
    Local Time
    11:18 AM
    hi how does the brass go with just neck sizing after the first firing,another option is to set the barrel back one thread i had a smle years ago that was hell on brass set the barrel back one thread and did not have to put a reamer near it fixed all problems.
    i am all for preserving all these old firearms but when some of these oldys come your way that have had a butchering a little bit of tweaking can get them working again

4. Avoid Ads - Become a Contributing Member - Click HERE
    Contributing Member Micheal Doyne's Avatar
    Last On
    Yesterday @ 04:23 AM
    Local Date
    07-07-2020
    Local Time
    The shoulders move up quite a tad, and the brass is rather closer to a cylinder than the day one taper, but neck sized it is fine. The major issue is lack of a foresight. Has any one done any successful replacements on these?

Last On
    Local Date
    07-08-2020
    Local Time
    without seeing your sight a mate had a martini that the front was butchered we shaped up a new sight and wrapped the barrel in a wet rag and a bloke tig welded it on

Last On
    06-14-2020 @ 10:35 PM
    Local Date
    07-07-2020
    Local Time
    The sights are normally soldered on. A little heat applied with a propane torch will allow the old sight to be removed. Then buy or make a new one. Tin the bottom of the sight. Hold it in place with a metal clamp and apply heat. I did this to a swiss vetterli with a cut down barrel. I made the blade tall so I can file it to the height I need.

Last On
    Local Date
    07-08-2020
    Local Time
    hi iím not real good at soldering but yes it is the correct way

Really Senior Member englishman_ca's Avatar
    Last On
    07-05-2020 @ 12:39 PM
    Local Date
    07-07-2020
    Local Time
    08:18 PM
    I think that you will need a bit more heat than a propane torch. The front sight ramps are usually braised onto the barrel.

The ramp will be sitting on a small flat cut into the barrel top surface.

To replicate the original front sight you would need to be handy with a drill press or milling machine. But not difficult to make up a simple ramp with a flat base out of solid at the bench with hand tools. File up a bead or barley corn.

One could even get clever and file a little dovetail to allow a driftable insert to be fitted. Soft solder the ramp into place on the flat with your propane torch.

Not original spec, I know. But this one is adjusted to the Point of Aim. It is a touch taller than standard.

10. Thank You to englishman_ca For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread