Many years ago, when Pontious was still a Navigator and Centurian was a rank, not a tank, I worked in a foundry which made, amongst other things, the Spirit of Ecstasy for Rolls Royce, turbo hot end wheels, false hips and SA80 Bayonets.

As a challenge for our machinist I asked if he could make a wax mould for a 4T front pad.

The attached photos show the mould. Molten wax is injected into the small hole at the top and sets, producing a pad blank.

The alloy block has a centre of antimoney, or some sort of low melting point metal which forms the female image of the pad.

I did successfully make some wax models, I fixed them onto a 'tree' and had it ceramic coated. I then snuck it into the production line and attempted to cast them. Unfortunately the vacuum chamber was set for a different casting, it all went wrong, cracked and was a disaster.

The mould has sat in my loft for almost 30 years until I found it during a clear out.

I thought it might be of interest. If there are any investment casters in the UKicon who fancy giving it a try, let me know.

Attachment 102098Attachment 102099Attachment 102100
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.