I have come across a Kragicon Carbine that I wouldn’t mind owning as a shooter.
I just don’t want to pay a “collectible” price for what I believe is one of those carbines that Dick Hosmericon has so succinctly described as being from the “cesspool” of fake carbines that are out there. Here is the best description I can come up with at this time:

Receiver marked “Model 1898” Serial # 209530 (circ 1899??)
22” barrel w/correct front sight. Rear sight is either a M1898 or a M1902. (I don’t know how to tell the difference). The sight does NOT have a letter “C” anywhere on it and is marked 2 to 20.
Stock is a 32”, no provision for a sling bar and the butt compartment is for an oil bottle. The front band is retained by a spring.

Now as to condition…. Very nice bore (That’s why I would like it as a shooter)
The stock has been sanded and refinished. The cartouche is still somewhat visible but unreadable. No sign of a ramrod channel. No splits or cracks that I could find.
Receiver, barrel and bolt exterior are finely pitted with no original finish whatsoever. Looks like a wire wheel was used to clean them up. I couldn’t pull it out of the stock, so I don’t know what the underside looks like. It is also missing the magazine cut-off.

All in all, probably not worth trying to restore, but OK as a shooter (if the price is right.) The owner seems to think it should bring around $800. I don’t want it that bad.

Is this a “arsenal” rebuild, a “shade tree” rebuild, or is there any way to tell ?
Where would a reasonable price point be?

Thanks,
Dean
Information
Warning: This is a relatively older thread
This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.